Monday, September 18, 2006

Golf tournament

I played in the Deiter's Love Memorial Golf Tournament this past weekend in Strathroy (west of London). I played in it last year as well, and also designed and built the website. The tournament is in memory of Deiter Rombouts, who was born prematurely and needed a liver and bowel transplant, and possibly a stomach and pancreas transplant as well. Deiter passed away at the age of six months while still on the transplant waiting list. These are the same four organs that our friend Sarah received when she was six months old, and that was over nine years ago. While Sarah was in the hospital in London for one of her many surgeries, her mom Cindy met Deiter's parents (Stacy and John) and became friends, and we met them through Cindy. Stacy and John started running this golf tournament and silent auction to raise money and awareness for organ donation, and I am proud to be part of it. <blatant plug>I've signed my organ donation card -- have you?</blatant plug>

I played with my friends Steve, Jeff, and Doug, and we finished the day with a 2 under par 69. I got to use my new driver, and actually hit it pretty well a couple of times. One of those times, I hit it too far, and we used Steve's drive (it's a best-ball tournament) because it was further back and gave us a better shot at the green. (Of course, he used a 5-iron, and I only outdrove him with my big-ass driver by about 30 yards, but still.) The winning team shot 10 under, so we didn't come close to winning (not that we expected to), but we had fun.

Didn't buy anything at the auction this year. I bid on a few items (Tiger-Cat tickets, some outdoor speakers for my dad, and I can't remember what else), but was outbid on all of them. Not true - I actually bid on and won a little green ribbon (for organ donation) charm for Gail, but found out later that she already had one. Silly mistake, but not very expensive ($10), and Gail said it was a very sweet thing to do, so it won me some husband points. Gail got a couple of crafty things, and the boys each got some toys. I bid on and won a putter last year, but I haven't touched it since, since I like the putter I have. I should have called Stacy and donated it back so they could auction it off again this year, but I didn't think about it until a day or two before the tournament. I'll probably donate it to the school silent auction in February.

Coincidence of the week: At last year's tournament, I bought one of those bracelets that everyone is wearing (like the Livestrong ones). This one was green and said "Donate Life". I didn't wear it much during the winter, but other than that, I've worn it almost every day since. I wore it again at the golf tournament, and then when taking it off yesterday, the day after this year's tournament, it broke.

Technorati tags:

No comments: