Friday, March 06, 2009

Mid-season NLL report

We're halfway through the NLL season, and it's time to look over my pre-season predictions and celebrate the fact that I was 100% bang-on with all of my predictions. Well, almost.

East Division
 PredictedActual
 1 BuffaloBuffalo
2PhiladelphiaBoston
3New YorkNew York
4TorontoPhiladelphia
5RochesterRochester
6BostonToronto
West Division
 Predicted Actual
 1 MinnesotaCalgary
2CalgaryPortland
3ColoradoColorado
4San JoseMinnesota
5PortlandSan Jose
6EdmontonEdmonton

OK, not almost. I got a few right, but in some cases, I'm not even close. In the East, it's hard to get Buffalo wrong, I had New York contending, and Rochester near the bottom, but that's about it. Philly didn't weather the loss of Iannucci very well at all, and my fairly dire prediction for Toronto turned out to be really optimistic. I didn't have high hopes for Boston, but they've turned out to be much stronger than I thought. I did say in my original prediction that they would be stronger than your average expansion team, but for some reason that didn't get reflected in how I viewed the standings.

In the West, Minnesota hasn't been the powerhouse I thought they might be, and Portland is not sucking. I got Calgary and Colorado pretty much right, and Edmonton is no surprise.

But in the East, if you swap Boston and Philadelphia in the standings, you get something very close to my prediction. In the West, if you swap Minnesota and Portland, same thing.

Note for the record that I made end-of-season predictions, not mid-season. There's lots of lacrosse still to be played.

1 comment:

The Shuster said...

With the rosters changing so drastically every year for every team it is hard to predict what will happen. I say you are doing just as good, if not better, than most so called experts. There is lots of lacrosse left and I am sure some teams will come back in the second half and play to everyone's expectations.