Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Friends

Despite the fact that half a billion people are on facebook and millions are on twitter, there are still people who don't like social networking sites and think they're a waste of time. Haters gonna hate. But whenever I hear negative talk about these types of sites, I think about this:

Facebook status

To everyone who came to the hospital to visit me, or called on the phone, sent me an email or facebook message, wrote on my wall, left me a comment, or even just clicked "Like" on my statuses, thank you. My family and I have been through a lot in the past several months, and it sounds corny but knowing I had so many friends out there thinking about me, worrying about me, and praying for me really warmed my heart.

I met with my surgeon this morning, and he told me that we had to "break up". There is no longer any reason for me to visit him, so I have no further appointments scheduled with either him or my family doctor.

This article is quite late – I should have posted it months ago, and for that I sincerely apologize. But thanking everyone like this felt like something that shouldn't be done while I was still recovering. Today is the first day since the attack that I really feel like it's over. I am not 100% back to the way I was before, and the doctor says it's possible I may never get there. But I feel mostly normal, I can play sports, I can beat my eight-year-old son at arm-wrestling (that was not a given a couple of months ago), I have no doctor's appointments scheduled, I have no medication to take, I can eat anything I want, and I've gained back all the weight I lost. In fact, I've gained a little more than I wanted to. Now I'm back to trying to lose a few pounds, which means that things really are back to normal.

I said before that I wasn't going to write about this whole ordeal again, but I've changed my mind. I'm in the process of writing an article describing my experiences in the hospital and during my recovery at home, if only so that everything I remember now gets saved away somewhere before I forget it all.

Thanks again.

No comments: