Thursday, May 14, 2009

NLL Playoff Picks: Championship Game

I'm now 5-for-6 in playoff game predictions, having missed the Buffalo-New York game last weekend but getting the Calgary-San Jose game right. Luckily I didn't post score predictions because I would have been way wrong. Who could have predicted 5 goals for San Jose (who scored 20 last week) and only 3 for Buffalo, including 0 for Steenhuis and Tavares? Who could have predicted Matt King shutting out San Jose for three periods and outscoring Colin Doyle and his goal being the game-winner?

New York vs. Calgary

Given the goaltending performances last week, we might be looking at a 3-2 game, which is unheard of in lacrosse. Then again, 17-5 and 9-3 scores are pretty unheard of anyway, and we had both of those last week. Even as good as Vinc was last week and as strong an offensive team as the Titans are, I don't think they're a match for Calgary. As long as Calgary doesn't get too cocky after last weekend's blowout, the Championship is theirs to lose.

Prediction: Calgary

Unfortunately, I will be vacationing in Las Vegas this weekend, so I won't be able to watch the game. Well, perhaps "unfortunately" is the wrong word to use here.

1 comment:

The Shuster said...

I'll trade spots with you so you can watch the game. I've always wanted to go to Vegas. Haha!

I agree with you that this game is Calgary's to lose. Calgary has too many offensive threats and don't rely solely on two players for their scoring. If Calgary can get to Vinc early then it could be a blowout but I am also expecting more of a defensive battle.