Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Reason

I recently heard a Christian song called "Oh, What A Reason". When the song began, it sounded to me like many other Christian songs, and I kind of tuned out. Then the line "There's nothing in this world worth living for" caught my attention. This didn't sound like a lyric from a Christian song, more like some depressing emo band.

After a couple of google searches, I was unable to determine who wrote the song; the closest I found was a link to a youtube video of someone named Lauren Talley singing it. Here are the lyrics I found online, reproduced without permission, since I don't know who to ask:

I've been blessed with so many things, God's been good to me
I have family and friends who share in all I do
But if I lose it all and I am left with nothing
If I have the Lord I know I'll make it through
 
He's the only reason I live, but oh, what a reason
He's the only reason I live, but oh, what a reason
There's nothing in this world worth living for
It only leaves you empty and longing for more
Oh, He's the only reason I live, but oh, what a reason
 
Now you may have tried a lot of things to find real happiness
But if you've looked very long, then you know it can't be found
Until you find the Lord, in the power of His Spirit
Jesus will be your reason to live and He'll never let you down

Now, I'm an atheist, but I'm not one of those uppity atheists that think that Christians are all moronic brainwashed sheep. So be aware that when I question these lyrics, I'm not questioning them because they refer to God. I'm questioning them because they have implications about the Christian faith that I cannot imagine are true for the vast majority of Christians. Many Christians believe that their faith in God is the most important thing in their life, and that's fine, I get that. But that's not what this song says. It does not say that God is their favourite reason to live, or a very important reason, or even the most important reason. It says that God is the only reason to live. The only reason.

"There's nothing in this world worth living for / it only leaves you empty and longing for more" – is that really what devout Christians believe? That their family, their friends, their career, they're all meaningless? Real happiness "can't be found"? At all? Ever?

If this is really how the songwriter feels feels about his/her life, well, quite honestly I feel sorry for them. Personally, I believe that real happiness can be found, because I've found it. I have many reasons to live, and that's without faith in God. Maybe whoever wrote this song should try give atheism a try.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I am tracking with your logic. I don't know of the song or the artist off hand. I do know a little of the faith. I did not write the song but I think there is SOME poetic phasing going on. Yes there are things in this world that can make you happy but only temporally; not eternally. So in comparison to God (and specifically Jesus Christ) "nothing in this world makes me happy and leaves me longing for more". I see things in this life that can bring joy as only glimpses of the infinite joy of a relationship with God. Glimpses that He gave us of Himself. The fact that you found happiness in your life and your family is a way God is revealing the reality of Himself to you. I don't want to say much more then I already have except to quote a man named John Piper and specifically his book Desiring God in which He thoroughly explores the idea of Christian Hedonism. In it he mentions frequently that "The chief end of man is to glorify God by enjoying Him forever." It calls us not just to "a" joy but the best joy imaginable.

Anonymous said...

This song is a great song. The reasoning of this song is that there is nothing in this world that can relate to an experience with God. God is the only reason to living on this earth. Yeah I understand that we have family, friends, jobs, and accessories. But God's word says that we leave all of that behind when we are called to meet Him. Therefore He is the only reason for living. Especially if God has changed your life from unrighteousness and uncleanliness to righteousness and spotless.

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to beat around the bush. I've been on both sides of the fence & I've never known joy, peace & happiness like I've come to know it through the Lord Jesus Christ. I always had temporary happiness before I know the Lord, but I what happens when your husband leaves you for another woman, or your child dies unexpectedly, or some other tragendy occurs in your life? or all of the above at once? How do you cope with something like that without the peace that only Jesus Christ can give you through his shed blood on the Cross. Besides for the fact you may have happiness here on the earth today but what happens when you step off into eternity. Do you burn in hell, go to Heaven, or nothing at all? You better be sure of your answer. Because the word of God says your reward is here on earth. But those who put their faith in what Jesus (the son of the living God) did for us on the Cross... our eternal reward is eternity in heaven. and don't forget, your life on this earth is like a flower quickly fading, a vapor in the wind, a wave tossed in the ocean, here today & gone tomorrow in God's eyes. This life is as a puff of smoke compared to eternity. Do me a favor & watch Jimmy Swaggart ministries on son life television & see if you don't feel moved by what Jesus Christ did for you on Calvary's hill. Not to be at all rude or sarcastic but in genuine love I will be praying for you. Not a day goes by that I don't pray for my 17 year old son that has recently turned atheist.

Graeme said...

"some other tragedy occurs in your life" - obviously you are not a regular reader of this blog. Back in February, I had an attack of pancreatitis and ended up in the hospital for two months (I wrote about it here). Pancreatitis can be fatal but thankfully I pulled through and am pretty much fully recovered now. While I was in the hospital, some friends of mine offered to pray for me and to ask God to speed my healing. While I appreciated the thought and caring behind the idea, my first thought was "Why ask God to heal me, when God gave me this in the first place?"

I'm sure there were people who did pray for me but I did not, and I managed to cope just fine, thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

I'm actually not a reader of this blog. I just stumbled accross it on complete accident. I've never even added a comment on anything online before. I'm happy to hear that you've recovered well. Bad things happen to everyone because we live in a fallen world full of sin. Maybe God spared you to give you more time to come to the realization that he does exist & give you time to repent & ask Jesus to be your saviour. Have you ever wondered where the world came from or how everything happens everyday like clockwork without fail. is it just one big coincidence? The sun is just far enough but close enough that we don't freeze or burn up. Day & Night, seasons, all happen like clockwork. I am a christian putting my faith in Jesus as my saviour. but this does not exempt me from tragedy striking me or my family. (Because I also live in this fallen world filled with sin)
I'm just going to give you something to think about. Remember I've been both places. I happen to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is an evil, scarey, spirit world out there that I personally, on several occasions, have come in contact with. So if there are spiritual beings out there, where did they come from? Whether angels or demons. I just want you to think. I use to think I was too bad for God if He existed. that I did not deserve His forgiveness or even deserve to pray to Him. I did not realize that Jesus died for people exacly like this. My brother believes in God but thinks this way, so he continues in his walk without a God that loves him so much. There is absolutely no sin greater than God's Grace through our faith in Jesus Christ. Historic records prove Jesus existed & was crucified. Not to mention hundreds of years prior to His coming to this earth prophets in the old testament prophisied of specific things that would occur & they did. this is all recorded in history with scrolls, timining, etc. How does the word of God do all of this? Well I better let you go. I hope it doesn't make you mad, but I'm still praying you find Truth. At least my son knows & exepts I will always pray for him.

Anonymous said...

it has been over a year now since i commented. i am the last post. I want you to know i pass by this link from time to time & I am still praying for you & your family! I have recently received my ministry lisence & if you ever feel the need to ask me anything please feel free. Jesus loves you & your family more than life itself & He still saves whosoever will come to Him :)