Monday, February 27, 2006

Attempting to be the squeaky wheel

I mentioned in a previous post that I wrote a letter (email, actually) to Brad Watters, the President of the Toronto Rock, regarding the announcers at the skills competition last Friday, and I got a response today. Here's my original letter, and his reply:

Hi Mr. Watters... this is my sixth year as a Rock season ticket holder - in that time I've missed only one home game. For most of that time, we've had to put up with Two for the Show as the "hosts". They were OK musicians, but as announcers, they're simply annoying. But they only show up on the Jumbotron or PA now and again, so I can put up with that.

However, at the skills competition tonight, they were an embarrassment to this city, the Rock organization, and the NLL. These guys treated the skills competition, which featured the best lacrosse players in the world, like it was the Pizza Pizza relay or scooter race or something. Kaleb Toth has been a star in the NLL for years - he even played for the Rock - and they didn't pronounce his name properly. Tracey Kelusky has also been an NLL star for several years, and one of the guys had to check the sheet to see what team he played for. It was painfully obvious that these guys do not follow the game, and other than Steve Toll, had no idea who any of these people were.

I think it would have been far better if Bruce Barker was brought down from the broadcast booth at halftime to call the skills competition from the floor. There's a guy who knows a thing or two about announcing, and even more importantly, he follows the game. He knows who the players are, he knows what teams they play for, he knows what teams they used to play for -- hell, he could probably tell you what teams half of them play for in the summer leagues.

I have been looking forward to the All-Star Game all season - I just hope that these two guys don't make a mockery of it like they did the skills competition tonight. These guys have always given me the impression that they are out there because they are paid to be out there, but don't give a crap about lacrosse. Please do us all a favour and get rid of them.

Graeme Perrow
graeme@perrow.ca

P.S. In case it wasn't obvious from my comments above, I also wanted to say how happy I am that Bruce Barker is back in the booth for the Rock. Good job in getting him back.

Here's Mr. Watters' response:

Thanks for your feedback. It was a confusing and complicated game for us to run. I would let you know that Bruce Barker wasnt available to do it.

All the best

Brad Watters

Pretty lame-ass reply, if you ask me.

No comments: