Saturday, August 04, 2007

Don't flash flash flash those things at me

While driving into Waterdown tonight, I was driving 60 (in a 60 zone) in the right lane, next to a car doing about the same speed in the left lane. A tow truck came up behind me doing about 80 and flashed its lights at me — but not its headlights, the flashing lights on top of the truck. He had the lights off as he was driving, but as he approached me, he flashed them on for a second and then off again. I did nothing, partially because I was in the right lane and there was a car beside me, and partially because the right lane was ending in about a kilometre anyways. When the right lane ended I moved over, and the tow truck moved over behind me (there was time to continue in the right lane and pass me before the lane ended, but he didn't).

This is something that has bugged me about tow trucks for the longest time — why do they have flashing lights on them? Police cars, ambulances, and fire trucks I understand; they sometimes have to get somewhere in a hurry, so they put the lights on and people move out of their way. But tow trucks? Who moves out of the way for a tow truck with its lights on? I certainly don't. I can understand that if they are in the process of hooking up to a vehicle in a lane or at the side of a busy road, they might want to put the lights on to alert drivers that something is happening there, but while driving? What's the point? Get over yourself, Mr. Tow Truck Driver. You're performing a service that is valuable to society, but the flashing lights are a bit much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First off, while your driving on your high horse figuring that wrecker has no where to go, someones life could be in jeopardy, Professional towing companies assist Fire Depts with extractions of victimes on a daily basis. OR they are quickly attending an accident scene to clear the situation so you dont have to sit in traffic. So next time you choose not to pull over think about being pinned in your car after an accident or on the brighter side of things dont complain next time your sitting in traffic