Wednesday, August 22, 2007

New Toys!

Somewhere out there, there's an iPod with my name on it. And I mean that literally. I ordered an 80 GB iPod from apple.ca yesterday (with free engraving), and got an email this morning saying that it had shipped. I feel like rushing home and checking the mailbox every, oh, fifteen seconds or so. Maybe I'll just bring my laptop and sit next to the mailbox. OK, I'll have to cool the jets just a bit — I just checked the FedEx site, and the package left the point of origin in Shanghai, China a few hours ago, so perhaps sitting by the mailbox today would not prove useful. Tomorrow maybe.

The one I bought is priced at $349 US at apple.com, but $399 Cdn at apple.ca. Since apple.com won't let you ship to a Canadian address, I had to buy from the Canadian site, which is a total scam — the Canadian dollar is so high right now that $349 US would only cost $378 Cdn, plus the sales tax would be less. I suppose I could have bought it through apple.com and had it shipped to my friend in California, and then paid him to ship it to me, but then you have extra customs stuff to worry about, and extra shipping costs, not to mention the hassle, so I guess I'll just eat the $20 or so and complain about it in my blog. There, that's done.

I am really looking forward to getting this new toy piece of equipment. My buddy Kurt has one, and he can't stop raving about how great it is. Once I've ripped all of my CDs (450+) and put them on the iPod, I can store the actual CDs in the basement, freeing up space in the CD/DVD rack for more DVDs, which are starting to get piled in various places since we're out of room. If I wanted, I could also remove the CD player from the stereo cabinet and replace it with the iPod dock I intend to buy. My car stereo already has an iPod input jack so I'm OK there, but I might need to buy one for the van. Kurt says that you can even rip DVDs to the iPod, so if I can hook it into the DVD player in the van, that would be even better.

Update: I saw 80 GB iPods at Costco yesterday for $369. Crap.
Friday update: It went through Anchorage yesterday, and is in Indianapolis today! Estimated delivery is Monday!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How the heck can you write a blog post about Apple hardware and not mention me? I've got TWO iPods! Am I losing my status as Alpha Apple Geek at work?

Oh yeah, enjoy the iPod. :)

Graeme said...

I originally planned to have a sentence saying something like "and John the Mac Boy will be proud of me for buying Apple hardware!", but that sentence managed to get misplaced.

Sounds like I'm making it up, but I'm not! I swear to Jobs!

Anonymous said...

Since getting my ipod in June (from Costco btw !), I've used it more than I had originally expected...
but not much for listening to music; I use it mostly to listen to podcasts while walking to/from work.
It was also useful for the long hours in the van during our vacation.

Yes, you can rip your DVDs and convert them to be played from the ipod. I've done this a few times, but I consider it mostly a gimic: its much easier (and better quality) to just play the DVD.

BTW: I don't like the iTunes capabilities much. And its s**ks that you can't do much with the songs/podcasts _on_ the ipod. E.g. it would be nice to be able to re-mark a podcast as new.